[Sca-cooks] Is this a wine myth?

Ysabeau lady.ysabeau at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 07:39:36 PDT 2007

Note: the following is purely conjecture and you will probably find
many holes in the logic.

Okay, grapes for wine are traditionally harvested in the fall. If we
go with the idea that wine in casks will spoil faster, then it is
possible that some/many wines that were casked the previous fall might
begin to spoil by the following winter. Heating the wine and spicing
it would be a way to get rid of spoiled wine but I would think that it
would take a lot of spices to cover up that vinegary flavor. All of
the spiced wines I drank in Germany involved spices that were blended
to accent that particular type of wine. Granted, I lived between the
Mosel and the Rhein...they were justifiably proud of their wines. The
only people I could see possibly trying to pass off bad wine by
spicing it would be unscrupulous tavern owners and itinerant hawkers.
They could give it to people passing through who would not be repeat
customers anyway.

Just my random thoughts,
Ysabeau