[Sca-cooks] Rant: And speaking of cooking equipment...

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Apr 3 10:32:12 PDT 2007

> The salesman sighed sympathetically and said, "Yeah, it's an
> expensive hobby, I know..."

Hm... perhaps he's caught in a time warp? When I was a kid in the 70s
and 80s, if a woman cooked, it was providing for her family, and
expected. If a man cooked (and didn't get paid for it) it was most
likely a hobby. Thus saith the woman whose grandfather did most of the
cooking in the house where my father grew up, but my father appeared to
be unable to cook anything that wasn't in the Eagle Scout handbook. (He
eventually took up breadmaking.)

There was a period of time where men cooking came in the same category
as men doing laundry and washing dishes-- there was a social expectation
that we would all stand around and be very impressed with whatever Dad
or Hubby cooked.

Now me, I'm a hobby cook. My roomate cooks dinner every night. I buy
lots of cooking gear for SCA cooking and do the occasional cooking or
stirring.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net