[Sca-cooks] Rant: And speaking of cooking equipment...

Vitaliano Vincenzi vitaliano at shanelambert.com
Tue Apr 3 16:28:15 PDT 2007

Well, I certainly own some knives from the $80 to $100 range as well,
and in fact, I don't own a single knife that itself would be $200 or
more, but that's not to say I never will.

As for quality, I look for a thick blade that extends all the way
through the handle - and I want to be able to see that. I don't mind
plastic handles so long as they aren't molded around a little nub from
the blade. My set that I have now has blades all the way through the
handle with a two piece handle riveted to the blade itself. The set I
have is made by Philippe Richard, which may not be a top brand, but the
set sold for over $250 when I received it. I also own a couple of
Chicago Cutlery knives from BEFORE they were made oversees - when they
were still a great knife.

A knife doesn't have to be expensive to work well in the kitchen, as
long as it is a good, sturdy knife with a thick blade extending well
into or through the handle. I forced our shire to purchase two good
Santoku knives last year after being asked to cut turnips with a Ginsu,
and we only paid about $40 per knife for these at a restaurant supply
store. They work great, have good thick blades and really nice balance,
so they are easy to cut with. I of course volunteered to keep up the
maintenance on them as very few in our shire know how to do this.

Geez, who thought this "hobby" crack would cause so much debate. I am
still having fun though...

--
Lord Vitaliano Vincenzi
aka Shane Lambert