[Sca-cooks] period baklava-like pastry was: Period Greek Recipes

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Tue Apr 3 22:41:42 PDT 2007

Hey all from Anne-Marie

Once I had an oh-so greek roommate who taught me how to make baklava. It
MUST be made at least a day before, and given time to cool, because that's
when it absorbs all that yummy syrup. The yayas (grammas) would be mortified
if it was served warm!

She also explained to me the heresies of the Turkish styles and how "that's
not really bakalava" ;)

So if you have your heart set on serving modern baklava, you'll need to do
it at home ahead of time anyway, so I wouldn't let kitchen space be a
limiting factor.

If what you want is a period pastry that involves honey and nuts, the
isifunj (sp) from the middle eastern sources (cant remember the exact
citation, sorry!) is lovely :)

Good luck!
--Anne-Marie, who has been roped into making baklava for a feast before.
Oof! That was a big chore!