[Sca-cooks] Period Baklava

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 12:38:41 PDT 2007

I've served lauzinaj at two feasts now, and it is even better received than
baklava would have been.  We used wonton wrappers one time and puff pastry
the second.  We rolled them into tubes around marzipan, baked it, poured a
honey-rosewater mixture over it and sprinkled ground pistachios over that.
Yummmmmmmmm.....

To be honest, I thought we had long since established that baklava,
especially when made with phyllo, is out of period.  I do have a recipe for
a precursor to baklava that I found in a listing of Persian recipes that
appears in the introductory material in "Soup for the Qan".  Essentially,
it's a series of very thin pancakes with a mixture of walnuts and spices in
between each pancake, then a honey mixture poured over the top.  We did this
for our last ME feast, and it was a howling success as well.  If you're
interested in either of these, I can provide the recipes for you.  I
redacted the proto-baklava recipe, and Dame Hauviette d'Anjou did the
Lauzinaj.

Kiri