[Sca-cooks] Back to baklava.

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 5 22:01:43 PDT 2007

Johnnae mentioned:
<<< We always return to this subject, don't we? >>>

Well, no, this isn't the first time baklava has been discussed here.
But once again, new info and comments appear, such as yours and
Adamantius'.

<<< If the archives were available we could go all go back and review
the
discussions
of 2001 and 2002. Only part of this is in the Florilegium files. >>>

Well, I like to think a useful selection of stuff is available there,
even if not all comments are.

<<< A couple of newer items that aren't in the Florilegium files.
Most of
this came off MK Cooks and SCA Subtleties. >>>

Ummm. Nope nothing until this discussion was waiting to get put into
the baklava-msg file. I've been subscribed to the SCA Subtleties list
since early on, but I stopped reading it a long time ago, since as
you can often tell from this list, I can barely keep up with this
one. :-(  Too bad I can't find someone to pay me to keep up with the
hundreds of medieval mail lists. Sure would beat the pressure and
hectic-ness of my current job. :-)

This is why I've encouraged folks to save and forward to me useful
messages or message threads, but alas to little avail. I like edited
original messages because then I can better make sure credit goes to
the original posters. But I'll consider anything.

<<< Think Ottoman, not Greek and turn to those sources.
from my notes--
As regards pre-1600 baklava, there is of course an original late 16th
century early 17th century recipe included in Mary Isin?s commentary in
the book A King?s Confectioner in the Orient. The recipe?s titled ?Royal
Baklava.? >>>

Thank you for these notes. I'll save them for the baklava-msg file.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com