[Sca-cooks] Phyllo definition

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 6 06:12:27 PDT 2007

On Apr 6, 2007, at 8:42 AM, Terry Decker wrote:

> Any source needs to  be taken with a grain of salt.

I will say that Wikipedia is very up-front about the extent to which
they think they should be taken seriously. If they can quote a
reputable source for their info, they'll say so, and when they can't,
they'll say that, too. It's just that people don't want to read
anything in detail, and they want one-stop information shopping, so
these little things are glossed over.

Maybe I'm colored by having seen Mike Judge's extremely silly and
banal film, "Idiocracy" last week. Imagine "Buck Rogers In The
Incredibly Stupid 25th Century".

>   I've found errors of
> fact in works by top authorities in the field and I know I make
> plenty of
> errors (and try to correct them as I become better informed).

My favorite is when people forget that the OED is basically a
glorified Wikipedia, originally created by a committee of amateurs
which included one guy in a padded cell, and the ultimate Open Source
document. I understand my suggested change got through, anyway.

>   And when you
> wander into disputed territory where both sides are presenting their
> interpretation as fact, you getsa some real fun.

How did religion get into this?

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04