[Sca-cooks] OOP - Nectar de Rhubarbe

colleen.mcdonald at comcast.net colleen.mcdonald at comcast.net
Fri Apr 6 08:48:33 PDT 2007

> Since the Willamette Valley just to your south is one of the main
> Rhubarb
> growing grounds in the States, why in the world would you import the juice
> from New York? If you want to wait til summer, I can donate stalks from the
> plants that grow happily by my driveway.
>
> Regina in Portland >>

Thanks for the offer, Regina.  I was looking for something unique and unusual as a beverage for my hubby's birthday dinner since he's forgoing wine right now.  It's a low-alcohol cider, not just rhubarb juice.  I don't pretend to be a cider maker, don't even play one on TV. ;-)

The good news is that Fairway Markets in New York is getting ready to do mail order via the web, so I might be able to get some after all.

Here's the text of the original blurb from the Times for those interested.
>From France, a Sip of Springtime
Fizzy, fragrant, pink and refreshingly tart, rhubarb cider is springtime in a glass. The lightly sparkling Nectar de Rhubarbe from northern France needs no alcohol to deliver its light allure; the label says it has less than 1 percent. The cider is sold in 750-milliliter bottles smartly secured with Champagne corks. It deserves a Champagne flute for sipping, but at only $6.99 a bottle at Fairway, you might freely pour it over a bowl of ripe strawberries.
Cainder