[Sca-cooks] OOP - Nectar de Rhubarbe

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 8 18:56:12 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
> Mind you, it's probably not that hard to make. Rhubarb, sugar, water,
> and a
> quick stop by the local brewing shop to rent the CO2 machine (I'm
> sorry, I
> have no clue what it's called in English - actually, I'm not even
> sure what
> it's called in French!). >>>
>
> When I was reading this I was expecting Petru to say "...and a quick
> stop by the local brewing shop to get some yeast..."
>
> So is there some reason you would want to inject CO2 rather than let
> fermentation add any fizz? Or is there some reason that yeast
> wouldn't work in this?  It is Rhubarb *Cider*, but then in the U.S.
> at least some apple juice is sold as apple cider.
>
> Stefan  > > > >

A couple reasons:  1) yeast makes a sediment that degrades over time leaving
a nastry afterbite and 2) CO2 is a much more controlled process that can
give you the amount you want without having to worry about infections and
wild yeasts and sugar levels.  Natural fermentation/carbonation is a fussy
thing :o(

niccolo difrancesco