[Sca-cooks] OOP Icing Question

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 8 19:27:13 PDT 2007

On Apr 8, 2007, at 8:11 PM, Lilinah wrote:

> OK, i'm not much of a cake baker or frosting maker, but, well, i get
> this "frisson" when someone says "buttercream" and in the same breath
> says "make with Crisco". Now, i am not qualified to comment on the
> comparative qualities of frosting made with Crisco vs. made with
> butter. But, well, i'm just wondering, how can one call it
> "buttercream" if there's no butter in it?

I can sympathize with the frisson, but in a world where early
Twinkies were filled with a buttecream substitute made with beef fat
and sugar, nothing seems to matter much anymore.

The idea is that partially hydrogenated vegetable shortening produces
a slightly more stable product in high-heat conditions, both when
funky emulsifiers are added, and perhaps also because its lower
moisture content makes fermentation just a little less likely...

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04