[Sca-cooks] OOP Icing Question

Chawkswrth at aol.com Chawkswrth at aol.com
Sun Apr 8 20:38:06 PDT 2007

In a message dated 04/08/2007 10:09:48 PM Central Daylight Time,
ladyemp at sbcglobal.net writes:

> I found Crisco a
> suitable substitute, although you would never catch me using a generic brand
> shortening.  I made that mistake once and never made it again, thank
> goodness it was a practice icing when I was still learning to decorate.
>
> Elizabeta

I have often used a buttercream that uses Crisco or snowdrift in a
half-and-half recipe with blue bonnet margarine.
Yes, I know, I am a true heathen.
But, it gives a good flavor to the icing, it holds up to a hot room, and the
color is not white, white-but that is more due to the vanilla I use, instead
of the margarine.
I tried my recipe with all margarine and it was too rich. The Crisco/blue
bonnet combination gave a light, fluffy icing that did not die on me, like the
butter rich chocolate I made for my brother's groom cake.
 That is one of the standing jokes about the wedding. We have on video, the
Best Man looking at the cake as sloooowly the middle tier remnant slide to the
end of the bottom tier and fell over the ledge...and onto the floor. We've
called it Carol's Suicidal Chocolate Cake ever since....
One of these days, I need to get the pictures of those cakes up
somewhere...before the collapse, that is. <G>

Helen
<BR><BR>**************************************<BR> See what's free at http://www.aol.com.</HTML>