[Sca-cooks] Somewhat OOP Portable Soup Question

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Apr 11 13:15:17 PDT 2007

> "Portable soup" was being used by the British Navy around 1750, when ships
> carried 50 pounds of the stuff for every 100 men.  The stuff has a
> paste-like consistency and I suspect 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon in a cup of
> water for a broth-like consistency (roughly the reconstitution of bullion)
> is what you're looking for.

Note: Accorting to Jennifer Stead in "Necessities and Luxuries" in
_Waste Not, Want Not_ there is a recipe dated 1694 for portable soup;
H.G. Muller, "Industrial Food Preservation" in the same volume, a cake
of portable soup made in 1771 was analyzed in 1938 and "the soup had
shown no marked change in 160 years."

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net