[Sca-cooks] Cubebs, was Recipe(s) Request

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 26 13:17:19 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
>From: "Caointiarn" <caointiarn1 at bresnan.net>
>
>Where did you find cubebs??!!   I'm done to a measly small number, and need
>to find more!  I'm teaching a spice class for the Kingdom Collegium,  and
>would like to get more.
<<<

Umm ... if I may ... while I wholeheartedly support doing business with SCA
merchants, if you just can't find them that way ...

Amazon.com has them for $16.33 for a 1-lb. bag:
http://www.amazon.com/Blessac-The-European-importer-spices/dp/B000CER5K2/ref
=sr_1_4/104-0684337-9427949?ie=UTF8&s=gourmet-food&qid=1177603015&sr=8-4
or
http://tinyurl.com/2am2rd  > > > > > > >>

USE CAUTION . . . . ashanti pepper (piper guineense) is not the same thing
as piper cubeba; it is called "false" cubeb pepper.  To be sure you are
getting the correct spice, ask specifically for botanical name, piper
cubeba, and look for that on the label.  Cubeba has round, dark brown to
grey, wrinkled berries with straight tails. . . . guineense has more oblong,
smoother, smaller berries with a more curved tail, and that tend toward more
brown color.

Gernot KAtzer has so,e info at
http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Pipe_cub.html

caveat emptor,
niccolo difrancesco
(Ameteur spicer who has examples and sampled a dozen suppliers' spice in the
last 6 months)