[Sca-cooks] Feast Menu for Atlantian Coronation

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 30 11:44:11 PDT 2007

> >Greetings all.  I thought some of you may be interested to read the
> >menu we have planned for Atlantian Coronation this Saturday.  We
> >will serve (in theory) 200 plus High Table (12) and minions.  Enjoy
> >the read.
>

> >Beverages to be provided
> >Water, Sekunjabin, Iced tea
>
>I think of iced tea as one of the more strikingly OOP things the SCA
>does. In your case, the use of tea fits the theme--but do we have any
>evidence that it was drunk iced as well as hot in asia in period?
>
>If I read the menu correctly, you are mixing period recipes with
>modern ethnic recipes--at least, I don't know of any period source
>for Ukrainian Cucumber Salad or some of the others. Do you do
>anything to keep your diners from concluding that, since they are
>being served in a medieval feast many of whose recipes are period,
>they must be period as well?
>--
>David/Cariadoc
>www.daviddfriedman.com

Good point about the tea but hot tea is unseasonable for now.  Somehow the
caffene addicts don't complain and the others just go for the water or
sekunjabin.

The cucumber salad is from Recipe from the book Imperial Mongolian Cooking
by Marc Cramer.
ISBN # 0-7818-0999-1  Hippocrene Books, Inc. along with the Garlic Yogurt
Sauce.

With this menu we consulted someone who is not only in our cooks guild, but
quite well versed in Mongolian, Baroness Chagan.

Sometimes we fudge it a bit but by and large our recipes are documentable,
unlike some of our solties I have been known to do.....

Olwen