[Sca-cooks] [Sca-Cooks] To 10 pantry items

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 5 15:31:49 PDT 2007

On Aug 5, 2007, at 6:11 PM, Adele de Maisieres wrote:

> I confess, I'm not overly into blood sausage.  This is an opinion
> based
> on having actually tried it, though.

It may depend to some extent on what type you get (or not). The
English and Irish black puddings I've had have been okay, sort of dry
and crumbly compared to the others, but they have relatively little
fat and, often, a lot of bread or rusk crumbs and/or oatmeal. Okay
for frying a few chunks with eggs, but not something I'd want to make
a meal of. German blutwursts or their French equivalent tend to be
literally bursting with meat, fat, blood, and one of those with fried
apples and onions is arguably one of the most essentially carnivorous
experiences one can have. I find that for newbies to the whole blood-
sausage thing, they have their best experiences with some of the
Polish or Russian black kishkas, which contain a lot of grain
(usually buckwheat groats), meat, fat, onion, and just enough blood
to color and flavor it all. The morcilla I had yesterday was
somewhere in between, with lots of rice, moist and rich, but of not
too alien a texture.

> That all sounds delicious.   I think you get a lot more out of
> eating if
> you're willing to try new things.

I think my list of serious, won't-touch-it food prejudices begins and
ends with balut (those fertilized duck egg?), and perhaps some insect
dishes, that sort of thing. But a few enzymatically degraded fish
guts? No big deal...

>   The best thing to with food opinions
> informed by "ewww! rotten fish!" type prejudices is to tune them out
> entirely.  More for the rest of us.  :-)
>
> (I made 10lb of sauerkraut for the last feast T and I cooked.  I
> should
> have made 20.)

Well, it produces a lot of liquid, no? I don't think you really get
20 lbs of sauerkraut from 20 lbs of cabbage...

These people, trying to fob off their rotten vegetables on innocent
feastgoers... ;-)

Adamantius