[Sca-cooks] Greetings from the Incipient Shire of Tymberhavene in AnTir

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 11 08:21:52 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
"Pelican Cooking" rather than "Laurel Cooking"
if you take my meaning.  The dish itself should be in the appropriate
historical style for a SCA event, but here we are addressing the Virtue
of Hospitality rather than of Scholarship. > > > > > >

this sort of phrase always confuses me.  It seems to imply that Pelicans
aren't interested in advancing the educational, historical, atmospheric
value of eatery in SCA events.  Or that somehow it has to be a dichotamous
or either/or situation with them . . . either we can satisfy modern
hospitality fetish OR feed people food appropriate to the general atmophere
and broad spectrum of time that we are portraying so many other ways with
great aplomb and obsession.

Not going down the implication road that somehow Laurels, in their desire to
advance the sub-culture of SCA life, cannot or do not satisfy the modern
hospitality "demands".

Probably not the intent, but there ya' go.

niccolo difrancesco