[Sca-cooks] Virtual Cookie Exchange

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 02:58:43 PST 2007

Here is a favorite Christmas cookie of mine.

Huette

Pecan pin wheel cookies

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 tsp dry yeast
2 tbsp water
2 eggs, separated
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup pecan, finely chopped
1/2 tsp almond extract

Stir flour, baking powder, and salt together in mixing bowl. Cut in butter. Dissolve yeast in
warm water, then stir in egg yolks, sour cream and vanilla. Blend into flour mixture. Refrigerate
one hour. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.

Beat egg whites until foamy and gradually add sugar, then beat until stiff. Fold in nuts and
almond extract.

Roll out dough on lightly floured surface, one-fourth at a time (keeping remaining dough
refrigerated), into a 10-inch square. Cut into sixteen 2 1/2-inch squares. Place 2 inches
apart onto lightly greased cookie sheets.  Place one teaspoon of meringue onto center of each
square.  Make 1-inch cuts with knife from the corner of the squares towards the centers.  Fold
every other point to the center atop the meringue.  Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
Makes 48 cookies.

***I am going to try this recipe using Splenda for my husband.  I hope it works out as well with
Splenda as it does with regular sugar.

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/