[Sca-cooks] Freezing sausage

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 7 21:38:30 PST 2007

-----Original Message-----
I've eaten cooked sausage that was frozen and later thawed, and I do
remember a change in texture (uhm, a bit watery, maybe?), but said sausage
was not reheated.  I'd think that varied ingredients in sausages would also
affect texture.
Can you try freezing a bit of it first, as a trial run?
--Maire  > > > > > > > >

According to the training I've had in freezing and microwave reheating, fat
is your friend.  Fat prevents freezer burn as well as protecting cellular
structures from the ravages of ice crystal formation.  It is not foolproof,
but higher fat sausages will fare better than their leaner bretheren.  Lean
meats will get mealy and a little dry when cooked and frozen.  IF you cok
until JUST done, chill quickly and freeze separately on a sheet pan, then
bag together, I believe you will be pleased with the results.  Don't go
longer than a couple three months in the freeze, though.  Then you will
start to get flavor drop as well as some textural issues.

niccolo difrancesco
(sausage and mustard fiend . . .got an 3 gallon Enterprise hand crank
sausage and lard press . . . )