[Sca-cooks] philosophical salad question

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Wed Feb 21 09:17:05 PST 2007

Am Mittwoch, 21. Februar 2007 17:51 schrieb Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise:
> I've been doing a lot of salads lately for events and things. Mostly,
> because I don't think enough people experience a medieval-type salad
> often enough, and I think it's good to show them what it's like. I
> haven't done a lot of sops or boiled greens on toast, though.
>
> Since it's unclear how often salads were served, should I try to limit
> how often I make salad in the SCA?

I wouldn't limit it unless I had positive proof of its rarity. I don't think
we have a chance of replicating or even knowing the 'typical' frequencies
with which certain dishes were served, so as long as we know that something
*was* enjoyed during the period in questions, we ca take a leaf out of our
medieval forebears' book and cook according to the palate of our lords.

Giano