[Sca-cooks] listing of ingredients...

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Feb 25 16:07:23 PST 2007

Well, it's darned common in *this* part of the ambiguous north (Montana, aka
northern Artemisia).  Posted lists of ingredients (on a website, local list,
on sheets available at the event, etc.) are good, quick ways for someone
with allergies or dislikes to be able to make decisions about event
attendance/food consumption--easier than calling someone you might not be
able to get a hold of, etc.  Which works, too, don't get me wrong.  I'm
fielding a few questions/concerns about food stuffs for the feast I'm
cooking in March, myself.  But I also make ingredient lists available ahead
of time (for ease of planning on the part of the feasters), and at the site
(for my peace of mind--this way you don't get constant interruptions of
"does this feast have x? y? or z? in it??)
While it might feel like it's putting a serious crimp in your creativity,
I'd personally strongly recommend that you refrain from throwing in stray,
last minute ingredients--people are allergic to the weirdest things, and you
might make a previously safe dish "un," that way.  Also, if you're
relatively new to feast cooking (and/or cooking authentic feasts), you'd be
better off going with the guidelines for seasoning that show up in the
recipes themselves--I've only known a bare handful of cooks in all my years
in the SCA who can actually do that off-the-cuff sort of seasoning, and get
away with it successfully.  I am not one of them, I might add, and the ones
that I *do* know are all professional chefs (or have been in the past), and
while they all make marvelous food, not a one of them is an authenticist.
This is just my personal experience, though--I haven't had the pleasure of
eating food prepared by anyone on this list, except a couple of Artemisians
who mostly lurk, so I'm not intentionally dissing anyone....
I gotta admit, though, why the reluctance to post ingredients? Surely if
you're doing a feast in a couple of months, you've got the menu nailed down,
so it's not like you don't know what dishes you'll be cooking? Your event
steward is, I venture to say, not intending this to be any sort of
unnecessary hoop-jumping, but, rather, ensuring that everyone has the
information they need for ensuring the best possible time at your April
event.
Oh...table menus are a wonderful way to showcase your
ingredients/recipes/etc.  I've seen that done quite successfully in
different places, most recently in AnTir (Hi, Lainie!).
--Maire