[Sca-cooks] period food preservation

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Jul 13 07:46:04 PDT 2007

I'm working on my handout for "Preserving the Harvest," a class I'm
teaching at Pennsic. So I'm looking for comments and feedback- and yes,
Stefan, I did look at the appropriate files in the Florilegium! :)

What I want to cover:

   1. Spreading out the harvest
         1. diversity of cultivars
         2. early/late starting
         3. cool, dry storage
   2. Preservation Methods
         1.  Two main methods of preserving: excluding air, excluding
moisture
         2.  Fermentation/other bacterial/chemical methods; and why it
is a special case
   3. Drying
         1. Grains
         2. Fruits/vegs