[Sca-cooks] sugar

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Jul 14 16:56:23 PDT 2007

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007, Suey wrote:
> sugar why did they cultivate it? I do think I remember finding they ate
> it raw off the cane but I have never tried that have any of you? What's
> it like? Why would we want to cultivate sugar cane if we can't process it?
>     Joanna many thanks  your citation on processing sugar

Actually, yes. They sell 6-8 inch hunks of sugarcane in the markets in
Taiwan (and probably in Okinawa). You peel back the outer skin and chew on
the fibers. It's an interesting treat.  You don't eat the fibery bits, you
just spit them out when they are no longer sweet.

toodles, margaret
(or so my memories say, it's been nearly 30 years...)