[Sca-cooks] A roast for a feast...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Nov 23 01:42:21 PST 2007

Phlip mentioned a "pirate" feast that didn't involve the Vikings:
<<< One of the things we'll have, is an entire deer is being
earmarked for
the feast- Avraham and I will have to go butcher it once it gets shot-
no big deal. But, having that as an option, it occured to me that
since I'll be able to custom butcher it, why not make a presentation
piece for later in the day, a Baron or Saddle of venison? >>>

Years ago my barony was told we would have venison for the upcoming
event. They were talking steaks and such. Unfortunately, the hunters
weren't quite as good as they thought they were and we got venison
stew because they had to stretch things further. I'd say keep a
venison stew or some such n mind as a backup. :-)

<<< One thought I've had is to make some
real hard tack, and since it's pretty hard to eat, use it for
decorations, but edible decorations in case anyone doesn't mind losing
a few teeth. Ideas along that line would be appreciated ;-) >>>

Serve it with a soup or broth in which the hardtack can be soaked to
soften it.

My father-in-law apparently used to make some hardtack that people
liked. Not documentably period, but it didn't sound lie this
necessary was supposed to be. Let me know you'd like and I'll see
about getting the recipe.

Or how about using period travel foods, other than hardtack?
biscotti-msg      (16K)  9/ 3/06    Period biscotti, a twice-baked
travel bread.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/biscotti-msg.html
jumbals-msg        (8K) 10/12/03    Knotted twists of dough similar
to pretzels.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/jumbals-msg.html
Litle-Morsels-art (18K)  6/23/06    "Little morsels or biscotti from
16th cent.
                                        Italy" by Lady Helewyse de
Birkestad.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/Litle-Morsels-art.html