[Sca-cooks] OT OOP tedious process

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Sun Nov 25 13:14:11 PST 2007

I've collected beebee shot sized garnet crystals from anthills myself while
attending a geological field camp in New Mexico and I had an undergrad
professor who talked about collecting forams in the same manner.  I recall
reading or hearing about a turquoise discovery in the western US being made
by a prospector examining the material kicked out of a critter's burrow.

Regards diamonds, they were know to the arabs in period and are mentioned in
at least one period book I can recall in translation.  If I recall correctly
diamonds in the US's northeastern and northern part of the midwest have been
found as the result of glacial float out of Canada from the last ice age.  A
small number have turned up in North Carolina over the years but as to where
those came from no one knows.  Arkansas has a diamond "pipe" that is
accessable to the public.  Periodically gems of several carats turn up
there.  What with global warming there have been diamond "strikes" in Canada
and Greenland relatively recently.

Daniel

mka Daniel C. Phelps, P.G.