[Sca-cooks] OT OOP tedious process

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 11 22:42:52 PST 2007

Maire detailed:

<<< Or consumption.  Many, many years ago, when I was a sophomore in
college, I took an art class on pottery.  (What fun to get dirty for
credit! <g>) One of our projects involved a firing technique called
"raku," if I recall the spelling correctly (Carter was president,
okay? It was a *long* time ago!).  The pots are fired in a special
kiln, and wet straw is used in the kiln.  ISTR it making a really
pretty crackly glaze.  The kiln was set up outside, behind the
library on campus.
Some officious snot turned our whole class in for smoking pot,
because they'd mistaken the smell of burning straw.... >>>

Ummm. I'm not rich enough (or knowledgeable enough about pottery
firing) but if you used pot instead of straw, would you get a
different glazing effect?

:-)

More fun with clay:
P-tale-MWIFO-art  (23K)  8/26/96    Making Wrought Iron from Ore at
Pennsic 24.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/P-tale-MWIFO-art.html

Stefan
--------