[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving menu

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 22 09:36:52 PST 2007

Ah! The old ubiquitous relish dish! Wow! I haven't thought them since
the last time they were mentioned on this list (which was a while
ago).

I'm from the Chicago area and when i was a kid in the 50s it was on
the table at most mid-level restaurants and sometimes at home.

The long multi-sectioned dish held celery sticks, carrot sticks,
whole radishes, and canned olives. I never like canned olives. When i
lived in France i was converted to good olives and now i can get them
in most of my local markets, here in Berserkely. But i still love raw
radishes.

>Yes, people still do them.  Maybe it's one of those regional things,
>but my folks (originally from CT) always had one for holiday meals.
>Think my sister (the #@$!!) got the special glass tray we used.  I'm
>bringing one as part of my contribution this year--carrots, celery
>stuffed with lox cream cheese, olives, homemade chutney, pickled
>beets.  Would have done pickled crabapples, too, if I could have
>found them, but alas...

I'm making 'em... had the choice of crab apples and lady apples at
the inestimable Berkeley Bowl.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita