[Sca-cooks] CHILI COOK-OFF- OOP

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Mon Oct 1 13:39:02 PDT 2007

At 01:26 PM 10/1/2007, you wrote:

>I was traumatized* by chili as a child and only last year consented
>to try it again - a very mild, yes with beeans and vegetables in it
>version that i'm sure any real chilli lover would sneer at. It was
>good, so now I make it myself occassionally. I may be a
>spica-a-holic but I'm still a chilli wimp!
>
>*As some of you may remember, in the early 70's, ?at least in
>Southern California, there was a meat boycott protesting high meat
>prices. (If they only knew...)
>
>I had the misfortune to be the child of a chemist and a home ecc
>teacher - together they put me (and my siblings) thru the tortures
>of hell in their effort to produce healthy meat-free meals. Tis
>included the various kinds of textured soy proteins that Dad bought
>by the barrel.

My mom, when she was in her 'Mother Earth' phase, bought TVP
(textured vegetable protein- basically soy dressed up to look like
something else) alot, and smuggled it into chili, spaghetti, meatloaf
(!), basically anything that had hamburger in it. It was kind of
innocuous and I didn't mind it so much, but when Dad found out (after
several weeks of not noticing) he blew his stack and that was the end
of the TVP. Too bad, really. My brother and I were having a great
time slipping it to the dog...

'Lainie
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than
our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore