[Sca-cooks] I Didn't Know...

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Sep 7 09:13:01 PDT 2007

Greetings!  I was just reading the tudorcook blog page and saw this:

>......not because of anything he did, more the fact that milk today is
>separated from cream in a different manner to the Tudors. Today,
>our milk and cream are separated centrifugally, in the past good old
>gravity did the job....so what you say...well, our milk today has less
>fat in it than in the past and our cream more fat. This meant that when
>Robin came to curdle the milk to make a possett..make a styf poshotte
>of Ale; þan hang þe croddys þer-of in a pynne all he got was a few
>measly lumps floating in a lot of milk/whey.......my fault really as I
should
>have ordered cream to mix with the milk to up the fat levels......

I never knew about a difference in separation - only that we homogenize
most of our milk today. I wonder what else is different today that would
make a big difference in the results of our cookery...

Alys Katharine
Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/