[Sca-cooks] Almond milk dregs

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Sep 14 04:49:43 PDT 2007

On Sep 14, 2007, at 6:27 AM, Adele de Maisieres wrote:

> ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote:
>
>> Rice with almond milk for 100.  The recipe I found is 2 c almonds
>> to 3 c water, 1 c almond milk to 1 c rice.  1 lb of almonds is
>> about 3 c.  1 lb rice is 4 3/4 cups.  I bought 12 lbs of rice and
>> 12 lbs of almonds.  Which should be about 84 c or 5 gallons of
>> cooked rice, about 7 c for each table of 8. The proportions tasked
>> pretty good in my test cooking.
>
> That seems like a lot of rice.  I find people will only eat 1/3-1/2c
> each, on average.

I have to agree here. "Food For Fifty", which I've found to be eerily
accurate at things like this, lists 3-4 lbs raw, 6-8 quarts cooked,
for 50 half-cup servings, so I'd double that. This is assuming
starting with raw, regular, non-parboiled rice, not rice-in-a-boil-in-
bag, etc.

 From a budgetary standpoint, you might ask yourself, what's a few
extra pounds of rice, to which I'd respond, well, what's a few extra
pounds of almonds?

Adamantius