[Sca-cooks] Best Apprentice Gift EVER!

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 15 14:34:06 PDT 2007

Shun knives are wonderful knives.  I have several, not only because they are quality knives, but
because they look like they have damascus patterning on them.  I have gifted all of my apprentices
with Shun knives.  And also those wonderful ladies who did my wedding food got Shun knives as a
thank you.  You know who you are, Selene, Urtatim, Kiri and Helewyse!  Shun knives ... when you
want the very best gift for that very best person...

Huette

--- Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, so most of you know that I became an apprentice a little
> bit ago. And, since I'm too much of a handful for just one Laurel,
> I'm apprenticed to TWO of 'em.  I do highly admire both Mistress
> Gwyneth and Dame Clara as well as being very impressed with their
> art.
>
> Today Elizabeth and I actually had a free weekend to just hang out
> and go shopping and relax a bit before the crazy tourney season
> begins. One of the places I wanted to visit was Sur la Table and
> "ooh and ahh" at the fun cooking stuff.
>
> Once we got to Sur la Table, Elizabeth said there was an ulterior motive
> for bringing me there. It seems that she and Dame Clara had a chat last
> weekend and Clara gave Elizabeth some money to get my apprentice
> gift. I really am embarassed by this but Elizabeth insisted that this is
> what Clara wanted.
>
> So today I am the very excited and proud owner of.......get this......
> AN 8" SHUN CHEF'S KNIFE!!!!!!
> Yes! Alton Brown's favorite cutters. I ran home and went straight to
> the kitchen to try it out. It does live up the hype. The action is smooth,
> the weight is light but just heavy enough for proper control and it is
> sharper than a razor. It's a thing of beauty. That poor onion didn't stand
> a chance.
>
> To make the day better we left the store and walked around the area looking
> for lunch. We found a little place called "Toulous" that is fantastic. It's
> the
> first authentic French food I've found in Dallas. I had the classic duck leg
> confit
> with fagiolle beans and it was perfect.  Dessert was obtained across the
> street
> at the real soda fountain.
>
> I'm so embarassed and humbled and thrilled with this amazing generosity from
> an amazing woman. Thank you so much Clara. I'll try to be worth it.
>
> Boucing,
>
> Gunthar

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/