[Sca-cooks] Rosine was Plum Butter

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Wed Sep 19 10:08:13 PDT 2007

>BTW, and obsolete term for plums is Rosine, which is modern German for
>raisin.

In English, the term "plum" sometimes meant raisin, so this is perhaps not surprising. "Plum Pudding" sometimes had raisins.

Rumpolt most often refers to "kleine schwarze Rosein".  But also to "schwartze Rosein", "kleine Rosein", and in a few places to "grosse Rosein".  I had taken the small raisins to be what we call currents.  Could they perhaps be regular raisins and the "grosse Rosein" be dried plums?

Ranvaig