[Sca-cooks] Rosine was Plum Butter

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Wed Sep 19 22:16:58 PDT 2007

>I thought Weinbeeren were fresh grapes.  By white
>raisins, do you mean the ones sold here as golden
>raisins?

In period recipes, 'weinbeeren' AFAIK can mean fresh
grapes, especially in northern dialects (it's still
'winbeer' in Low German). In modern German, though,
fresh grapes are 'Trauben'. Weinbeeren in retail
refers to a gently dried white grape that gains a kind
of greenish colour in the process. I don't know if
that is what you'd call golden raisins, though, I
haven't had the opportunity to shop in an American
outlet in years.

Giano

      Die etwas anderen Infos rund um das Thema Reisen. BE A BETTER WELTENBUMMLER!  www.yahoo.de/clever