[Sca-cooks] Rosine was Plum Butter

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 20 02:31:12 PDT 2007

--- Volker Bach <carlton_bach at yahoo.de> wrote:

> In period recipes, 'weinbeeren' AFAIK can mean fresh
> grapes, especially in northern dialects (it's still
> 'winbeer' in Low German). In modern German, though,
> fresh grapes are 'Trauben'. Weinbeeren in retail
> refers to a gently dried white grape that gains a kind
> of greenish colour in the process. I don't know if
> that is what you'd call golden raisins, though, I
> haven't had the opportunity to shop in an American
> outlet in years.
>
> Giano

For the general American grocery-buying public, there are only three types of raisins generally
available to us:  The black raisin, the golden raisin, and the currant.  This doesn't mean that
there are no other kinds of raisins produced in small, local markets, etc.  But, in general, these
are the only kinds you can find country-wide.

The golden raisin is also called a "sultana".  Which was initially produced by Turks using a
"white" or green grape.  In the US, this same grape is now called a Thompson's Seedless grape,
because in the mid-19th century, a hybridizer took the Turkish sultana grape and fiddled with it
so that it is now a seedless grape and added his name to it.  I have read somewhere that both the
black raisin and the golden raisin are now both made from Thompson's Seedless grapes, but using
different processes in order to get the different colors.

Huette

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/