[Sca-cooks] Rosine was Plum Butter

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 20 04:29:02 PDT 2007

>>> It is also a German name for a woman.
>>> amused, Rosin- I mean, Hrothny
>
>> Gee, I thought that was Ro:slein.
>> Bear
>
> Hmmm.... well, could be a regional thing but since Sister Aurelia (my
> German
> instructor who was from Germany and was a friend of Sister Mary Hummel)
> told
> me that I was to call myself "Ro:sine, because it is a good German name"
> during her class hours, I never argued it. One does not, normally, argue
> with a nun armed with a ruler (or worse, the ability to tell you that you
> don't get to read Sister Mary Hummel's letters, all illustrated, to her
> friend who'd moved to America to be a nun there).
>
> So for three years in German class, I was "Rosine". And for 9 years in the
> SCA, same-same, until the then-Laurel Queen of Arms Jaelle ruled that the
> name was no longer admissible to the College because we only had one
> instance of its use for normal people (it has been used to refer to the
> Virgin Mary in the sense of "pure as a rose".
>
> But YMMV, as it often does in the world of dialect and language shift. I
> was
> just amused to find a meaning I'd never paid attention to before. It would
> have been handy back at school since Sister Aurelia was also the assistant
> swim team coach and I was on the team. "Aw, but Sister, do I hafta leave
> the
> water for dinner when I haven't reached the Rosine stage yet?"
>
> Hrothny

Oh the world of German gets truly interesting with the Plattdeutsch
(flatland German) of northern Germany, Hochdeutsch (highland German) of
southern Germany which term is also used to refer to the standardized German
of Germany, Austria and Switzerland but is a different critter, Bavarian
(highly colloquial), the various dialects of Swiss and Austrian German, and
the German of Lichtenstein, which is a language unto itself and loosely
based on German.  A real pain for a poor soul like me who was barely able to
grasp standardized German.

I kinda suspect your instructor was Bavarian.

Bear