[Sca-cooks] Manchet

Anne Murphy afmmurphy at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 06:21:52 PDT 2007

I have my grandmother's books from the late 19th and early 20th
century, when they were just starting to use gas. They're translating
the other way - giving temperatures for those who are perfectly used
to judging by feel.

A hot/quick oven was about 400 - anything from 375-425.

Medium/moderate etc was about 350.

Slow is about 325.

Now, this, of course, is for home ovens attached to wood or coal
stoves, not a professional brick bread oven. But it is what I was
going by when I was doing the Small Cakes a few years ago, and baked
them at 400, rather than the more SCA common 350, because the recipe
called for a quick oven...

AEllin