[Sca-cooks] Manchet

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Sep 25 20:42:38 PDT 2007

A heat mass oven is likely to run 700-800 degrees F at the end of the firing
and might even be higher depending on the type of woods burned, the size and
length of the firing and the mass and heat absorbtion of the oven walls.
Once the heat source is removed there should be a rapid drop in temperature
down to high oven temperature around 500-600 degrees F as the oven mass and
oven chamber come into equilibrium.  After the initial drop, the sealed oven
will slowly lose heat.  For a baker, the general order of baking is bread,
covered dishes, then torts and sweets.

Since I don't think many of us have a lot of experience with wood fired
ovens, I would recommend using an oven thermometer to get a feel for the
temperature and the rate of heat loss from an oven.  One of the big
advantages of a heat mass oven is the temperature is fairly uniform anywhere
in the oven chamber, although you have to take care not to scorch the bottom
of the bread because of its proximity to the hot oven floor.

Continuously fired ovens which use a seperate firebox, gas or electric to
produce continous heat in the oven max out at around 500 degrees F unless
specifically designed to create higher temperatures and get too cold for
decent baking around 250 degrees.  They also tend to heat more unevenly.and
develop cold spots in the oven chamber, which may or may not be a problem
depending on how uneven the heating is.

Bear