[Sca-cooks] OT-OP-help for ideas, please

chawkswrth at aol.com chawkswrth at aol.com
Sun Sep 23 20:59:04 PDT 2007

All of the responses have been wonderful! Thank you!

Perhaps i should give an idea of his diet so far;

Morning-Old-fashioned Oats, made to his specifications, with half-n-half and LOTS of honey. Coffee, with Honey, salt, and a fiber additive. (He will eat about a third to a half of the oats, but he drinks all of the coffee)

Lunch-Soup, hot water, applesauce, or whatever Mother can stand over him and make him eat. Veinna Sausage, small glasses of milk...sometimes just instant breakfast in warm milk.

Supper-usually a protein, a starch and a veggie. We have an emersion blender and we are not afraid to use it! His favorite is cubed steak cooked in gravy till fork tender, rice and gravy, buscuit and gravy and a baked sweet potato. Dessert is either pudding or jello.
We are lucky if he eats three bites of anything on his plate-but he scrapes the pudding....

Those are on good days. Bad days-come all too often.

The Boost Milkshake is the Mayfield Vanilla ice Cream he loves, blended with the liquid Boost. Two scoops, one bottle, and the blender stick....

These days, he spends a lot of time sleeping, he has macular degeneration and he is quite deaf. But, his mind is still very active. He can tell you the names of all of his neighbors-and their children, the years of where they lived, and he even tells us stories that his Uncles and Grandfather told of the days of Reconstruction.

But, getting him interested in eating _anything_ is hard. he knows he needs to eat, but...he doesn't want to.

Thank you!

Helen