[Sca-cooks] OT-OP-help for ideas, please

Lynn LRA at olpdsl.net
Sun Sep 23 20:49:20 PDT 2007

My father is in much the same circumstances. Although he is on pureed
foods, he doesn't really like that and what he can still taste is sweet.

When he was a child, many a time they would have cornbread and
buttermilk for a meal. He still likes that. So I make him cornbread,
smash it up into small bits and put it in a glass and cover it with
buttermilk. It gets really mushy and he will eat that when he will eat
little else. He is also fond of sweet potatoes. So I cook them up, smash
them with a little butter and he is happy to eat that as well.

And he will always eat ice cream or milk shakes.

At first I was concerned that eating a lot of ice cream and milk shakes
and not a lot of protein foods would be a problem, but I realized it was
far less of a problem than not eating anything at all. He also enjoys
apple sauce (and other fruit sauces), custards, and puddings and will
drink senior health shakes (very cold) because they are like milk shakes
to him. The doctors told me that there is actually good food values in
milk shakes.

One of the tricks they do at my father's care facility is to puree
regular food and put a little honey in with it. The people eat it
because it tastes a little sweet, which they want, and they are getting
good food as well.

I bet you know what his favorites are. Make those and puree them. And if
he eats a lot of sweets, its okay because he is eating something and
something he enjoys.

Good luck with your grandfather. Remember to take care of yourself and
your mother as well. Sometimes care givers put themselves last on the
list and do not take proper care of themselves. It's also important for
care givers to have some down time just for themselves. Remember to do that.

Lynn the Inquisitive