[Sca-cooks] Vinegar in Rye Bread

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 26 14:29:44 PDT 2007

Most of the rye recipes I'm familiar with don't use vinegar, however I can
hazard a couple guesses about your recipes.  It may be a flavoring agent to
enhance a sour taste, much as citric acid powder is added to regular bread
to fake a sourdough.  It might be as a preservative, although rye bread
really shouldn't need it.  Or, if these recipes are for diabetics, it may be
someone misunderstanding a paper from 2005 where it was demonstrated that
high carbohydrate foods ingested with a small amount of vinegar (1-2
tablespoons) reduced the blood sugar spike after eating.

Vinegar shouldn't hurt the proofing mixture, but I would probably add it as
part of the liquor.

Bear