[Sca-cooks] Vinegar in Rye Bread

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Wed Sep 26 14:53:22 PDT 2007

>Most of the recipes I have found for rye bread call for cider vinegar.  What
>does the vinegar do?  Should it be added to the proofing yeast mixture, or
>later, with the other liquids?

Vinegar is sometimes used in pie crust to relax the gluten.

http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/bakingtips.pastry/Pastry.cfm
>Add one teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice as part of your liquid for each cup of flour in pastry and pie dough recipes. This won't affect the flavor but will result in more tender baked products.

It might be a dough conditioner to make the heavy dough easier to handle.  I made 16 loaves of rye bread last Friday, for feast, I know exactly how hard it is to knead.

Ranvaig