[Sca-cooks] Concentrated drinks shelf life

Britt tierna.britt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 07:43:27 PDT 2007

On 9/28/07, Mairi Ceilidh <jjterlouw at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I don't even refrigerate it, and it keeps for months.  Yeah, I "lost" a
> bottle in the pantry several years ago.  It was probably a year or so old
> when I found it.  Still good.  Vinegar is a wonderful thing.
>
> Mairi Ceilidh
>

> I made some sekanjabin and some syrup of lemons today for Pennsic, and when
> I took them downstairs to the fridge, I discovered that we still have a lot  of
>  sekanjabin syrup from last year.  It's perfectly clear and smells
> completely normal, but my husband is worried that it might not be any  good.
> I seem to
> remember that sugar syrups are pretty stable and don't  really even need to
> be stored in the fridge, but will last for a long  time.  Anybody have any
> ideas how long this stuff will last?

Mine's five years old, made with cider vinegar and turbinado. Still as
strong as ever, still good. When I worked in food service we used to
filter cloudy malt vinegar through a coffee filter and put it back on
the tables. I do same with my vinegars and probably would if the
sekanjabin got cloudy.

But when verjuice goes, man, you can tell it's gone.  It grows a
'something' spongy in the middle of the bottle. Which is another
reason I just snort lightly at settlings in vinegar and use it anyway.
 I have seen dead stuff, and it was scary.

- Teceangl