[Sca-cooks] Tudor Wax Fountain

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Sep 3 18:46:31 PDT 2007

Alys Katharine mentioned:

<<< Greetings!  There is a new video of the Hampton Court cooks'
attempt at a miniature wax fountain which you can see at http://
tudorcook.blogspot.com/ .  It isn't completed yet but you can see how
it functions.  There are also some nice blogs about recent recipes. >>>

I only glanced through this, so I may have missed some text, but I
did see the video of the wax fountain. I didn't find any explanation
of what this fountain was for.

We've talked a little bit previously about these small, table
fountains (see this Florilegium file:
table-fountns-msg (14K)  6/10/07    Elaborate tabletop fountains used to
                                        distribute wine or perfumed
waters. ).

But what is this wax fountain for? Is it just for looks? If so, why
use wax and not water or another liquid? I assume that the liquid
flowing through the fountain is wax and not that this means that the
fountain is made of wax. And, particularly in period, how would they
keep the wax from solidifying in the fountain? Not too difficult to
do today with electric heating elements, but then...

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com