[Sca-cooks] I Didn't Know...

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Sep 7 09:35:04 PDT 2007

Actually I knew this, but then I was given my very own Jersey calf to raise
when I was 2 and 1/2. My parents and grandparents both milked. I grew
up going out to the barn with them to milk. I don't know that we have
the original
milk separator or not, although I suspect it's someplace in the family.
It also makes a difference on the type of cow being milked too. Jerseys
are better for
cream than Frisians or Holsteins.
I know that the milk that came to the flat when we lived in Cambridge always
had a layer of cream on the top. It came in glass milk bottles in what
must have
been pints. I've never been able to buy milk like that in the states.
On the other hand, we have to cook with the groceries at hand or raise
our own.
Somehow, I don't see you with a cow and milking twice a day, Countess Alys?

Johnnae