[Sca-cooks] Milk and cream (was Re: I Didn't Know...

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Sep 7 09:47:37 PDT 2007

Well, continuing the milk discussion, modern milk is usually from
Holstein-Frisians. These cows have been bred to produce large volumes of
milk, and their milk has a fairly low milkfat content compared to the much
smaller volume of milk you get from, for example, a Jersey cow. For
instance. When my uncle was a dairy cow inspector in WI, there was a
running joke amongst the farmers who raised Jerseys that they were going
to get a Holstein "to wash out the buckets".

My aunt and uncle had two Jersey cows, so milk production and
processing was pretty much the way it was done in SCA period--hand
milking, and then you let the milk sit to cool and separate, then skimmed
off the cream layer. Even after the milk was skimmed as completely as one
could manage with hand tools, it was still much richer than even the whole
milk one buys in the store. You needed to shake the bottle a little if it
had been sitting for any length of time, as it would continue to separate.

As does cream--I buy non-UHP cream, and if I let it sit in the fridge too
long it becomes solid cream and whey.

YIS,
Margaret FitzWilliam