[Sca-cooks] Fava bean

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 15:35:33 PDT 2007

In Spain fresh baby favas are available in the spring. The outer husk is
so tender it does not have to be shelled but we remove the pods before
cooking. In other households the pods are cooked after shelling. I find
them bitter but it would be more economical if I did so. Frozen baby
fava beans are sold year round in Spain without the pods. In Chile the
same but they are so big that they are uneatable without shelling.  The
family of course prefers the fresh baby favas. I think that the
availability of the type of fava and price you are looking for in your
area would sway your opinion as to whether to prepare them for a banquet
or not.
Suey