[Sca-cooks] bread recipe in Fadalat al-Jiwan fi Tayyibat al-t'aam wa-l-alwan

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 5 00:21:57 PDT 2007

Stefan wrote:
>  Urtatim mentioned:
>  > I wonder if it might be from Fadalat al-Jiwan fi
>  > Tayyibat al-t'aam wa-l-alwan (Highlights of the
>  > table, on dishes and stews) by Abu l-Hasan 'Ali
>  > ibn Muhammad ibn Abi l-Qasim ibn Muhammad ibn Abi
>  > Bakr ibn al-Andalusi Razin al-Tuyibi, and
>  > Andalusi from Murcia, between 1228 and 1243.
SNIP
>  > It even includes a bread recipe and a couscous recipe. >>>
>
>  So which one is the bread recipe?

I've run all the recipes on that page through
Babelfish, and now i'm correcting its errors. For
example, every time a recipe says, "cortas"
meaning "cut", it gets translated as "short". And
Babelfish doesn't know the words for ginger
(jengibre), cumin (comino), or spikenard
(espicanardi).

But otherwise it's not that hard... except there
are a few cooking terms i'm not sure of...

Anyway, here's the bread recipe. First the
translation from the Arabic into modern Spanish,
then the Babelfished version with some smoothing
by me - i welcome any assistance from listees who
actually know Spanish to improve the translation.

Pan cocido en el horno
  Se toma la sémola, se remoja, se le echa sal, se
deja ablandar y se soba bien sobada. Se añade la
levadura y se va amasando con agua, poco a poco,
hasta que la masa queda a punto y aparece
trabada. Se le pone un poco de harina fina, se
reboza con ella y se hacen tortas conforme se
deseen, que se colocan en el doblez de un trozo
de lino o de lana, que se recubre con pieles de
cordero o cosa parecida, y se dejan que se
leuden. La señal de que están leudas es que se
levanta la masa y que al golpearla deja oir un
ruido. En seguida se cuecen con cuidado en el
horno. Una vez cocidas, se limpian, se ponen en
una vasija y se comen cuando haya necesidad. Si
se emplea harina de flor o de cualquier otra
clase no hay necesidad de remojarla, sino ponerle
desde el principio la levadura y amasar en
seguida. En uno y otro caso se empleará el agua
bastante caliente.

Bread cooked in the oven
Take semolina, soak it, put some salt in it, let
it soften/tenderize, and soba it very sobada. Add
leavening and knead it with water, little by
little, until the dough feels just right and
appears smooth. Put a little fine flour onto it,
coat it with the flour and make cakes in the
desired form, place them in a doubled piece of
linen or woolen cloth, cover again with lamb skin
or similar thing, and leave them to rise. The
sign that they are risen is that the mass rises
and that when striking it lets it out a noise.
Next cook them with care of in the furnace. Once
cooked, clean them, put them in a vessel and eat
them when it is necessary. If using flour of fine
quality or of any other class there is no
necessity to soak it, but from the beginning put
the leavening in it and knead it immediately. In
one or the other case use water that is quite hot.

NOTES:
Babelfish could never translate "vasija" - is
this a special shaped container or just a
"vessel"?
OK, i found a translation of "sobar" (to fondle,
to paw, to grope), but it doesn't make a lot of
sense in this context.

OK, some elusive ingredients in other recipes:
almáciga (Bablefish said "seedbed" and an on-line
dictionary said it was a plant nursery) but it
appears in a list with cinnamon, pepper and
ginger - is it mace?
alones - what part of a chicken is this?
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita