[Sca-cooks] Mustard

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 11 11:09:00 PDT 2007

>How about sharing the recipe you came up with for this?  I have made the
>red
>mustard from Platina, but haven't tried this one and it sounds like another
>really great sweet mustard.  Do you think it might work with Splenda rather
>than sugar?
>
>Kiri

It's actually very simple.

Item, if you would make mustard in the country in haste, bray mustard seed
in a mortar & moisten it with vinegar & run it through the strainer & if you
would prepare it at once, set it in a pot before the fire. Item, if you
would make good mustard & at leisure, set the mustard seed to soak for a
night in good vinegar, then grind it in a mill & then moisten it little by
little with vinegar; & if you have any spices left over from jelly, clarry,
hippocras or sauce, let them be ground with it & afterwards prepare it.

I just took some brown mustard seed and soaked it in red wine vinegar
overnight. The next day I ground the seeds (a mortar and coffee grinder
produced
nearly identical results).  Vinegar was added until the correct consistancy
was
achieved. The result was a bit too lumpy for my taste so I scrapped the mass
through a strainer which removed the husks but still produced a fairly lumpy
mustard so it had a nice texture when bitten into. I checked out a recipe
for
hippocras and looked in my cabinet for spices. Basically use what you have.
I used nutmeg, cinnamon, mace and sugar and then put it in a little
earthenware
pot covered with wax paper and let it sit for almost three weeks. Every once
in a while I'd give it a little stir but that is it.

I'm not sure if it would work with Splenda. But experimentation is what we
are all about.

Gunthar