[Sca-cooks] 15th C. Ottoman Bulghur w/Chestnuts

silverr0se at aol.com silverr0se at aol.com
Fri Sep 21 13:19:04 PDT 2007

>>Chestnuts - Again, i know you and i are working blind, pretty much,
but i'm asking for non-Ottoman food experiences... I could just stir
roasted and peeled chestnuts into the cooked bulghur. But i figure
the chestnuts would be more tender if i simmer them in broth after
peeling them, then stir them into the bulghur. (i may be able to get
packs of peeled chestnuts which will save wear and blistering on my
fingers) Any opinions?<<

Chesnuts do not stay fresh for very long once they are peeled, so I would be careful with pre-peeled ones.

When roasting your own, if you throw a kitchen towel soaked in ice-water over them the minute they come out of the oven then, when they have cooled and you go tto peel them, ?the shell and that nasty little skin inside come right off. No blisters.

Renata