[Sca-cooks] Pumpernickel?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Sep 28 22:16:05 PDT 2007

Here is a pumpernickel recipe that I have in my notes.  You will need to
determine the dough consistency by touch and it will be rougher texture than
most other breads.  The amount of water you will actually depend on how dry
the flour is.  If you need to add water, a tablespoon at a time is best.
For a more Germanic, but definitely non-period pumpernickel, double the
molasses and add 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder.  The molasses
helps moisten the bread.  The cocoa powder adds a little bite and darkens
the color.

You can add a teaspoon or two of caraway seeds if you choose.

The biggest headache I have is finding the whole rye meal.

Bear

Pumpernickel (makes 2 loaves)

Water  2 cups (110 degrees F)
Yeast   2-3 teaspoons
Pumpernickel flour (whole rye meal) 1 1/2 cups
Rye flour 1 cup
All Purpose wheat flour   2 cups
Salt   1 teaspoon
Malt syrup   1 tablespoon
Molasses (unsulfured)  2 teaspoons

Proof the yeast in the water
Blend the flours and the salt together in a large bowl
Add the water with the yeast, the malt syrup and the molasses to the flour
Mix the dough then knead until the gluten strands are forming properly
(about 5 minutes in a mixer, 10 minutes by hand)
Place in an oiled bowl, cover and allow to rise until doubled (about 1 1/2
hours)
Take a baking sheet and scatter cornmeal on it
Punch down, divide, and shape into loaves
Place the loaves on the cornmeal, cover and allow to rise (about and hour)
Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees F
Slash the loaves with a razor blade 1/2 inch deep, a cross for boules,
across the loaf about 3-4 inches apart for batards
Place the baking sheet in the oven
Drop the oven temperature to 450 degrees F
Bake for 40 minutes, turn out on a rack to cool