[Sca-cooks] Pumpernickel?

V A phoenissa at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 09:28:43 PDT 2007

Hi Eibhlin!

Here's the pumpernickel recipe out of the Cheese Board baking book, which
promises to make "a dark, moist loaf."  This recipe also needs a sourdough
starter, though, so it may not be that convenient if you don't have some on
hand.  The recipe is also a little finicky about the baking process, but the
results should be great.

Hope you find your comfort foods... :-)

Vittoria

PUMPERNICKEL

Makes 2 loaves.
Preparation time including rising and baking: 5 hours; active time: 45
minutes.

1 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups bread flour
3 1/2 cups medium rye flour
1/4 cup pumpernickel flour
1/4 cup semolina
1/4 cup cracked rye
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon medium-grind yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
1 cup (8 oz) sourdough starter
1 cup lukewarm water

In a small bowl, whisk the yeast into the warm water until dissolved.  Let
stand for 5 minutes.

In the bowl of a stand mixer or large bowl, combine the flours, semolina,
cracked rye, the 1/4 cup cornmeal, and the salt.

_If using a stand mixer, add the yeast mixture, cocoa powder, molasses,
sourdough starter, and lukewarm water to the bowl.  Mix on low speed with
the dough hook for 5 minutes, or until the ingredients are combined.
Increase the speed to medium and knead the dough for 5 to 7 minutes, or
until it pulls away from the sides of the bowl and begins to lose its rough
texture.  Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for a few
minutes, until the dough is smooth and a bit shiny.

_If making by hand_, add the yeast mixture, cocoa powder, molasses,
sourdough starter, and lukewarm water to the bowl.  Mix with a wooden spoon
until the ingredients are combined.  Transfer to a lightly floured surface
and knead for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and a bit
shiny.

Form the dough into a ball and place it in a large oiled bowl.  Turn the
dough over to coat it with oil.  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a damp
kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for 2 hours, or until increased
in size by one-third.

Sprinkle a baking sheet with the 1 tablespoon cornmeal.  Transfer the dough
to a lightly floured surface and divide it into 2 pieces.  Shape each piece
into a large round and place on the prepared pan.  Cover with a floured
kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours, or until a
finger pressed into the dough leaves an impression.

Fifteen minutes before the bread has finished rising, remove all but the
middle rack from the oven.  Place a metal roasting pan on the floor of the
oven and preheat the oven to 425 F.  Slash the top of each loaf and mist
them with water using a spray bottle.  Wait at least 10 minutes for the
slashes to begin to open.

Pour 1/2 cup cold water into a measuring cup and add enough ice cubes to
bring the volume to 1 cup.  Working quickly so that you don't lose too much
heat, place the baking sheet in the oven and pour the ice water into the
roasting pan.  Immediately close the oven door to maintain a steamy
environment.

Bake for 5 minutes, then prepare another round of ice water and repeat the
process.  Bake 15 minutes longer, then rotate the baking sheet front to
back.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes longer, for a total baking time of 40 to 45
minutes, or until the bread is dark brown and sounds hollow when tapped on
the bottom.  Using the spray bottle, mist the loaves to give the crust a
glossy shine.  Immediately close the oven door and bake for 1 minute.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

from The Cheese Board Collective Works.  The Cheese Board Collective.
Berkeley: Ten Speed Press, 2003.  p. 121